Austin Girl

i'm a mommy, a supportive wife (mostly), a loving daughter, a lazy but well-meaning friend, a texan, a reformed party girl, a slacker, a seeker, a chameleon, a reluctant L.Alien, trying to find the meaning of life in los angeles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Well, did you watch the Oscars? Did you see my buddy Randy Newman with James Taylor? I was bummed he didn't win, but he's got enough wins under his belt I guess. He is really such a nice nice man. His wife, Gretchen, is great too. He brings his family, kids and all, every year to this big fundraiser that I work for. He was honored several years back at this fundraiser, and he has attended every year since. I know I'm name dropping a bit, but it was just so exciting to see him there on the TV playing at the Oscars, and then seeing he and his wife in the audience, and knowing that I've had actual conversations with the guy.

In fact, here's a great story to rival the one about me sitting in a hot tub with Yakov Smirnoff (I know what you are thinking, and NO. It wasn't like that.). Last year, I was wearing these new high heeled pumps and my feet were killing me from running around all night while working at the fundraiser. Randy asked what the trouble was because I suppose I was grimacing, and I told him I was wearing new shoes. He looked down at my feet, and then looked at me and said "do you wanna wear mine?" CAN YOU IMAGINE???? I could have walked in Randy Newman's shoes! Literally! I LOVE that man.

I went to see him at the Paramount Theatre in Austin way back when I was in my early 20s, and I remember thinking he was a sarcastic bitter man. But now that I've met him, I know that he's just got a biting wit, but he is just a big teddy bear. When I first met him we had a conversation about Austin, and now every time he sees me he calls me "Texas."

While I'm often not feeling very positive about my job, I guess I can say that one perk is that I've gotten the chance to meet some ledgends and famous people. So here, I'll name drop a bit more. People I've met at work (I work at a school of music): Herbie Hancock, Randy Newman (of course), Quincy Jones, Pepe Romero, Placido Domingo, Bonnie Raitt and her dad John Raitt, Burt Bacharach, Bobby McFerrin, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, John Williams. Mind you, none of these people have any idea who I am, but I've shook their hands and spared a few words. Now, if only I could meet Donny Osmond! (YES! I admit it. I'll write about my love for Donny in another post.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home